Five stories from successful quitters
Did you know that 70 per cent of smokers wish they had never started smoking and want to quit? Smokers come from all walks of life. Here are five real quit smoking stories from smokers:
- Roger from Tasmania started smoking at age 14 and finally quit smoking when he was 67. Roger decided to quit after sitting down and working out how much he’d spent on cigarettes over 53 years – $185,000!
- Dee from Western Australia was asked by her children every day when she was going to quit smoking. She said smoking made her feel “drained, dirty, smelly, tired”. After downloading My QuitBuddy and going cold turkey, Dee hit the gym and lost 20 kilos.
- Fred, from Queensland, started smoking as a small child. Decades later Fred decided he wanted to be as healthy as possible when he reached old age. He realised he could go without smoking for a day so figured he could go without smoking a second day and a third … Before he knew it, Fred had quit smoking.
- Gary, from Tasmania’s Real Stories campaign, gave up smoking when his daughter was born because he wanted her to grow up not knowing about cigarettes. Gary’s advice to smokers is to never give up giving up and to focus on the many benefits of being smoke free.
- Joshua, from Queensland, learned something from every quitting attempt he made, which made his final quit attempt easier. He is enjoying having cuddles with his children without them cringing from the smell of cigarettes.
Remember, it may take many attempts to be successful, so don’t give up trying.